Saturday, November 23, 2013

Embroideries


Hello! Here's a progress picture of a little embroidery I've been working on. I carry this in my purse, or leave it on my desk, where I can pick it up and sew a few stitches here and there when I have a moment. I find it helps to stir up creativity when my hands are occupied. That old proverb my grandma used to say: 'Idle hands are the Devils playground' sort of stuck with me. I always have some kind of handwork: knitting ( which I am not very skilled!), twining miniature baskets, sewing tiny doll dresses, beading ( of course!) or just my sketchbook. Since my livelihood depends on creativity, the small practices that nourish inspiration are something I try to do every day. It staves off the dreaded ruts and staleness that can find an artist. 

So, this little piece of linen fabric and silk thread will eventually turn into a small pouch, for earphones, or prized beads. I like the idea of objects made by hand, they seem to have a magical quality that machine made things lack. 

1 comment:

Her Strange Kind said...

I love your little bird man! It reminds me to get back to embroidering, which is indeed a wonderful craft for when you have a spare moment.