Monday, January 16, 2012

bronze bee clasp!


This is a new clasp design carved by my good friend Jessica Wiesel, to debut at The Bead True Blue Show in Tucson, AZ. This piece will be offered in bronze at the show and on my etsy shop for a bit, then in fine pewter when that stock runs out.

Jess is an extremely talented artist in many mediums, from painting and drawing to miniature sculpting to couture sewing. She recently relocated from Columbus, OH to my neck of the woods here in Asheville, NC. We have been having a wonderful time creating new pieces and planning adventures (London, next year....). I am so happy to have my long time buddy so close! We met nearly 19 years ago in art school and became fast friends in a modern dance class, both of us rather awkward and embarrassed. We shared a love of dolls and detailed work, both things very unpopular then, considered too crafty for the fine art world. We persisted, making doll sculptures and noodly egg tempera paintings, focusing on our technical skills by making pretty things. Those days seem like yesterday, as we are both constantly searching for new techniques to learn. We have quite a pile of things to cast! Stay tuned for the next pieces!

6 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

Save one for me! I love it!

And say hi to Jess for me! I am happy for you that she relocated to Asheville! That must be fun! I know you guys like to have a good time. And hopefully I'll get to see you in London! Next year is slated for a European adventure!

Lorelei Eurto said...

That clasp is killer! Love it!

Shawna said...

Beautiful clasp... when will it be available in your Etsy shop? I don't see it there yet...

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I love it too! xox jean

Tom said...

I saw her working on that this summer. Love it.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Another gorgeous piece! My want list gets longer and longer : )