Thursday, April 26, 2012

miniature ventures

Hello! Here are a few tiny mandrake babies I made for a dollhouse show that was held in Chicago. They are way too labor intensive to make for sale again, but I might make a couple for my own dollhouse garden. I made the pots and most of the sculpture from polymer clay, with accents from lichen, stones, sand and flock. They came out pretty cute, I think.
These little sculptures were adapted from some of my existing pieces. I carved bases and altered each one a little, so they are different from the originals. These little pieces work surprisingly well in a miniature setting. I did really well with these tiny statues! I'll probably try making a few more sculptures, maybe some reproductions of my favorite artists work. I wonder if folks would like seeing miniature Kiki Smith bird people? I know I would. Actually, cats might go over a little better. Anyway, they are just a fun side project. Tell me what you think!

7 comments:

SummersStudio said...

I love all of these but I can see why the mandrake babies, lovely as they are would be too much work to replicate on any larger production scale. Sad that. But the cast pieces are just lovely and I'd certainly be interested in them. Not so much for doll houses but I love little tiny pieces for window sills and other places. So I think there is maybe a wider audience out there than just the traditional miniature enthusiasts.

Cynthia Thornton said...

Thanks for your insight! They would look good in plant settings, maybe. I'll put some up in my etsy shop and see what happens.

Anthony said...

I'm so glad to see you post your new work. I love the first one. They're so cute and just like a baby waving their hands. Look at their eyes, so cute.

Andrew Thornton said...

Maybe you can make a "basic baby" body and cast it in resin and embellish it with epoxy clay. That way they'd all be one of a kind, but not take so much work! I think they are charming and everyone who has seen the show here says that they are amazing and adorable!

Cynthia Thornton said...

Those are some good points....I might try that with the cast pieces.

Colleen said...

The mandrake babies are so amazing! And the cast pieces...wow! I'm thinking how wonderful they would all be in a whimsical fairy garden. The cast pieces would look so special tucked amongst plants in a Wardian case or giant terrarium. Love them.
On a side note, I saw Greg in Denver at the bead show this weekend. I was so fortunate to get one of your owl face/bracelet connectors with the sapphire eyes. What a great piece - it is stunning! All of the new pieces are great - but the owl may be my all time favorite. I appreciate how you and Greg are so open about sharing your creative process!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

what do I think? I think I cannot believe that everythong to touch turns to beauty. EVERY SINGLE THING!
lots of love, jean