Tuesday, May 31, 2011

winged things


This is a new version of the bird clasp that we carried for years. The original was misplaced (an unfortunate occurance that happens sometimes) and the mold broke, so I decided to redo the whole thing, rather than cast from one that had been polished. Casting from a second generation piece results in a smaller, less detailed finished item, since the wax shrinks slightly. I like this one better, it has a more refined shape and the loop has more detailing. I've also improved the fit, carving the loop a touch smaller, so the bird has to be jiggled a little to remove it.

This is another piece I retooled. I love this little bird girl, but her mold broke several years ago and we never got around to fixing her, so the design was shelved. Greg found her languishing in a box and asked me to fix her up, so I detailed her wings, changing the shape and also carved her little feet so that they have holes - perfect for gripping bits of chain or briolettes. These two will also debut at the show, so stop by and check them out!

11 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

Oh, the new bird toggle is great! I love the little detail on the toggle round.

And I'm glad that you all are bringing back the bird girl queen. Now if only you all would bring back the bird girl coin charm! :-)

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

they are both wonderful along with the new butterfly key!

Unknown said...

Lovely! The girl Bird isnt she utterly Lovely! She needs to fly to My House! Just beautiful Cynthia!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work, per usual. :)

Julie said...

I LOVE the Bird Girl!!!! Very nice. :)

Jenny said...

The Siren girl is truly inspired. Although I wont be at Bead and Button, I anxiously await one winging her way to me in the future!!!

somethingunique said...

Hi Cynthia, i just love that toggle i have seen it many many times in various publications ttfn L:)

Alice said...

The Bird Girl is just lovely!

Gina Chalfant said...

I love the all!

My Life Under the Bus said...

That toggle is one of my favorites love the additions!

/alien Beader said...

for those of us who won't be at B&B, how soon can we snatch up our Bird Girls?