Tuesday, May 10, 2011

evening

Evenings at our house are spent together, cooking dinner, playing rambunctiously, quizzing spelling words (my girl gets 100% every time!) and talking about the day.


I am addicted to ball jointed dolls. Maybe its the whole crafty part of painting their faces and making wigs, clothes and shoes that reels me in. Or maybe its creating the characters. Or choosing from hundreds of eyes. Whatever it is, Azalea shares my obsession and is always ready to participate in any dolly endeavor. Here's my girl posing with our latest doll, Buttercup (a Fairyland LittleFee creation). I love her and try really hard not to bring her everywhere, so Greg doesn't have to feel embarrassed that his wife is so weird. Poor Greg.

I do my best work in the evenings. I wish I could rise early with the dawn, listen to the birds awaken the world and begin work. But more likely than not I'm seeing dawn from the other direction, so to speak. Here's my latest piece, inspired by a motif on a piece of Liberty of London fabric, 'The Strawberry Theif" I think, maybe by William Morris. This is a pressing from a mold I just finished carving (its a quick smoosh of polymer in the mold, untouched and sloppy- but it shows the bird nicely). It will probably show up as a bronze clay piece, or maybe I'll clean it up and engrave a quote on the back and cast it in pewter. What do you think?

9 comments:

Glasslea said...

Hey girl! Miss you! Love the pics of Azalea & Max, beautiful kids. Love the Buttercup doll too, did you make her?

Best always,
Lea

Cynthia Thornton said...

Hey! Thanks! I think they are pretty sweet. No, I didn't make the doll. She's from FairyLand ( adoll company out of Korea).

Gaea said...

Do it! Do it!

Andrew Thornton said...

Looks good! The bird would look great in shibuichi! Or in a silver ring.

Unknown said...

Azalea and the dolly a precious picture! They almost look alike awww. And I love the bouncy pony that Maxx is on lol. Your family is so precious Cynthia!
Thats a mighty fine bird Missy xx

Andrew Thornton said...

While we're on the topic of things you're making for Bead & Button...

Listening to Amelia Peabody has put me in the mood for some Egyptian themed jewelry. Would love to see some inspired by Egypt or by the Victorian era. Plus you could use some for Azalea's Egyptian-themed birthday party!

Listening to The Ladies of Grace Adieu has put me in the mood for magical things. Maybe a woodland crown?

Would love to see some more links. Maybe some customizable bars with decorative borders, but blank middles for personalized stamps that look good either plan or with whatever someone hammers in.

Ann said...

I bought some Liberty of London Fabric from Bolt recently with plans to make a peasant style blouse and can picture that bird cast in pewter made into a pendant to wear with it.
And BJD's are very addicting, we started small with Lati's and PocketFairies and then went Tiny and up to MSD sizes. Its amazing how different you can make each one by just changing the wig or eyes out.

Anonymous said...

This Is wonderful! Hope to see it when I visit Andrew at the Pennsylvania Bead Fest in August!
Rosemarie Cowit

Anonymous said...

I love the new pendant!! ;)