Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Tree House









Today we worked outside on the tree house that Tony started a couple days ago. We watched for the Sasquatch and Grass Dog (from Lady in the Water) and we tried to spot all the fairy dwellings around the fort. I counted three. We searched for acorn caps that were interestingly shaped so we could use them for doll hats, but we didn't find any. We had lots of fun today, my girl pretending to be a benevolent queen and I, the trusty pony to pull her chariot (wheel barrow).
When I was a kid, I played in the deserts of New Mexico with my sister under a huge, upturned tree; it was like a shallow cave with the roots dangling down for a roof. We used to tie pieces of glass to the roots as sun catchers and line up busted open 'thunder eggs' (we didn't know they were called geodes-we opened them by banging them on the sidewalk) around the tree, like a sparkly fence. I hadn't thought of our fort and all the days we spent fixing it up, for years. I felt small again and full of wonder.

7 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

WOW! It looks like you all had a great time out in the woods. Where exactly is that? Is that in the backyard?

Girl looks like she had fun and she is SO cute. I miss her bunches and bunches.

Melanie was writing about this book where an artist documented fairy doors in Ann Arbor and had children do drawings of what they saw and his own clarifications of said drawings. I haven't seen it myself, but it looks and sounds interesting. Sounds like something that would be right up your ally.

I was feeling a little blue after work today, missing you guys a lot... so I stopped by Max Brenner's for some Double Thick Italian Hot Chocolate to sooth the hurt. It seems to have worked for the moment.

Christina J. said...

That sounds like the perfect sort of day!

claudine hellmuth said...

so fun! I want to build a fort too!!
xxxxox

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day. And your daughter is so cute!

Unknown said...

Awww Cynthia! What a wonderful childhood your giving her the memories! Shes so precious! She must be such a happy little one in your and gregs life! Bless you.
Huggs x

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

these photos are exquistely beautiful

Melissa J. Lee said...

What a lovely post. My son is not yet old enough to participate in these activities, but you make me look forward to the day that he is.

The necklace arrived safely - thank you again so much. The photo really doesn't do justice to how delicate and beautiful it is.