Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Books

Jane Wynn's new book is so good! I usually flip through books in this genre, look at the similar work and go on to the next one. This one has mold making techniques! Bezel making! Patinas! If you have any interest in jewelry or collage, this is a must for your collection. I've looked at it a dozen times since I got it.

I bought this for Azalea, I thought she'd enjoy the bright pictures and extremely cute characters. We both love it! This girl is good!


I met Holly Black at Faery Con a couple weeks ago and was completely charmed by her wit and friendliness. I found this latest installment in the Spiderwick Chronicles very convincing, so much so that Azalea and I went sprite hunting. The illustrations and text are so inspiring!


This wordless graphic novel is gorgeous. I am not exaggerating. Go to the bookstore and see for yourself, absolutely stunning. Its a story about immigration, told through a series of illustrations that has a magical quality emmanating throughout.
We got home late Sunday night, exhausted and happy to get out of the van. New York is about 11 hours away which was rough because baby girl had a high fever, making the trip seem so much longer. We had such a good time running around the city, going to our favorite places, shopping and eating. I think all the exertion (and the rain) wiped us all out. My girl is tough, she was better by morning.
Its always inspiring to travel, people watch and for me, shopping. I love checking out packaging, displays and new fashions. I've been working on organizing, basically nesting so the place I hate to leave is more comfortable. I think a studio should be an artists most favorite and comfortable place, a haven for dreaming and a safe place to make work. Mine is in a large attic with windows across one wall, overlooking trees and our porch, but it is far from organized. I have a plan that involves a big cabinet, to hide my goods. I'm on the hunt for the perfect one. If you have any suggestions, let me know! Thanks and good night!

6 comments:

Claire said...

I just "read" The Arrival. You're right! It is beautiful. So imaginitive.

Unknown said...

hi cynthia~

is the contest for the Andrew-created necklace on-going? curious because my name is in there somewhere! thanks for the book tips. definitely will check out jane wynn's book. looks fantastic.

Cynthia Thornton said...

Jennifer,
We have to pick a winner and Andrew and I have been arguing the best way to do so. I'm thinking to put all names in a hat and have Azalea draw, but Greg thinks the first person to answer should get it. I think I'm going to do the hat thing tonight and video it and show that.

Ann said...

I went to the Art and Soul retreat Vendor night in Portland ( Jan was an instructor ).
Wonderful book indeed!

Jane Ann Wynn said...

(gulp)

I am...beyond flattered.

Thank you... truely Thank you

You really made my day. I am thrilled you have such lovely compliments for me. It means so much.

XoxoxoX
J a n e

Andrew Thornton said...

It was good to have you all in New York! I miss you all terribly. Everyone who met girl is still talking about her and are in love with her completely. I tell strangers our stories at parties and events and people are like, "I love her already!"

I'm going to have to go back to Books of Wonder to check out some of these books. I definitely want to pick up a copy of Jane Wynn's book. I'll keep an eye out for it.