Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Return from Faery

Greg as Gelfling.



New favorite source for prints: Stepanie Pui-Mun Law.


We arrived from our trip today totally wiped out. The show was different than I expected. I've never done anything like Faery Con, so I was surprised by all the rampant silliness. People gallavanting down the aisles with wings, knocking down merchandise, skipping around my booth. I longed for a taser. Ok, I love faeries, mermaids, all manner fantasy, but I do not love silliness when I'm trying to work. I suppose I expected folks to goof off at the Faery Ball (which they did) but not while shopping. So, I like a more subdued shopping experience (I despise the schoom- doom noise blasting out of Abercrombie and Finch - give me Anthropologie any day) but thats alright.

The best part of the show for us was meeting the amazing Brian and Wendy Froud. I have loved their work since I saw The Dark Crystal and the book Faeries. They were gracious and charming, exactly how I imagined them. We also had the pleasure of befriending the talented Holly Black (of Spiderwick fame) and her husband Theo Black. They are very cool people. They also used one of my fairies on her website.

All in all we had a great time, my best buddy Jessica Weisel flew in for the festivities, adding to the fun. I wish we had longer to check out Philadelphia. We took Andrew back to NY last night and I was sad to leave. It will be weird not to spend some 12 hours a day working in the same studio. Its always so strange after a big show, I focus so much energy on an event, that when its over I feel depleted. Although it is nice to relax. Andrew has all the pics on his camera, so hopefully he will post them soon. I made a neat set of antlers to wear (too bad I didn't make more!) they were a hit. More pics coming soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia you looked really fine in your costume yall did! I was thinking of yall and wondering how yall did ..liked it etc. I can see your point about the amilless runniong and knocking into things G. Thanks for posting the pics I was so wanting to see what yall looked like! Were there alot of people at the place/ball etc?

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I loved Andrew's pics! You all are a gorgeous family!

Congratulations to GREG for winning the costume prize! He ROCKS!

Anonymous said...

hey cynthia -- i'm really hoping you apply to vend at the May Day Fairie Festival -- we spoke at Faerie Con - I finally made it to your website.
www.fairiefestival.net
we only have one other vendor who deals primarily in beads, but they are not your hand-made wonders.
by the way, i've used the peruvian fairies on two of my pieces - one which sold the other day on etsy.com:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=6540668
i'm planning to use the handmade ones on these bracelets as well as some of my bags.
over and out! let me know if you have any questions...
bibi