Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Blue Springs

Me and Sheila posing.

A really big slider.

Mama and baby manatees.

Manatee and gator.

Sweet girl Azalea.

Manatee about to be released into the spring.

Baby girl.
We spent a lovely day at Blue Springs, observing all the local wildlife. There were 55 manatees counted and 2 gators, loads of fish and turtles, not to mention all manner of birds. We got lucky and arrived in time to watch a manatee being released into the spring, which was really amazing to see the gentle creature up close. Today made up for the many times we've come and seen nothing at all. The park/spring has a house from the 1800's on it (which is now a museum) and one can't help but imagine living during that time. What must it have been like to live in such a beautiful place? What must have those folks thought of all the hundreds of manatees swimming through there? I think I would like to have a house there, with so many critters around.
The show was a lot of fun, but it wore me out! Good thing I have a few more days before the next show in Clearwater. I'm making new things for that show, so come by if your in the area and say 'hi'.
I've resisted the temptation to go shopping (since I'm making an effort to simplify) even though there are so many new shops open. I never noticed how much consumerism is ingrained in my way of life. I shop when bored, when I think I need new shoes (I have more pairs than I can count) when I try to boost the economy. It was actually hard to resist the new Ikea that just opened here. I tell myself to save up for nice, artisan made goods. Those will be more satisfying to look at everyday. Ok, I'm going to sit outside and watch the birds.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia! You and your sister are so pretty! Sounds like youre having a great time can I sneak in your backpack next journey? LOL I just made a lovely necklace with 7 of the charms I mean pendants I had bought from you its really Nice! Just saying Hi here and sending you some huggs too xox
Janet

Lorelei Eurto said...

Cynthia,
Your photos are lovely! I am so jealous to see the sunshine in your pics. Upstate NY is dreary today. At least the snow melted in the last few days. That is a major improvement.
Janet, I would love to see some pics of that piece you just made! I am a huge fan of GGS and love to see other people use them in their jewelry!
lorelei :)

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia! A note for Lorelei here lol...I am going to restring it as I want to do a different angle with it. Ill show it then for sure!

Andrew Thornton said...

Looks like Sheila just shaved her head again! Now we're twins again! We can pick a day to match.