Sunday, September 23, 2012

last remnants of summer




It's getting cooler here in Asheville, the days tinged with a coolness that both delights and brings dread. We hang onto summer around here as hard as we can, cooking out, taking walks and going on as many adventures as possible. As soon as it gets cold, I hunker down and don't emerge until spring, if I can help it. 

The first three pictures were taken a week or two ago when we rented a pontoon boat on Lake Lure. That place is magical. There's a mysterious quality about the lake, like it wouldn't be surprising at all if a giant trout peeked its face up at you. My brother Dwayne is keeping watch for any unusual activity, while Max helps Greg drive. My sister (the girl in the third picture) and I thought it would be an amazing place to bring our painting supplies and try to capture some of that mystery in oils or watercolors. Ah well, maybe next summer.

The last picture is of Max, wearing his daddy's boots, since he's not allowed outside without shoes on. I like how serious he is.

No comments: