Monday, March 18, 2013


Have you ever had a space of time that seemed fraught with every aggravation and disappointment you could think of, plus more that you didn't? Well, the last couple of months have seemed like the same day happening over and over, overcast and dull, with lots of things going wrong. The equipment breaking, the cars falling apart, pieces ruined, people acting like entitled children AND my beloved little bird Mochi dying.....it's enough to make a person fall down under the weight of it.

I've had to read letters listing how I should run our business, how to do this and that, the result leaving me sad and tired. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why do people think its their right to criticize with abandon, yet gawk at the rudeness if the same questions are asked of them? I realize there is always room for improvement, but there are boundaries. Surprisingly, I am not a stone and am hurt by hard words.

I could list a hundred other things that have pressed down on me, deflating my spirit, but in the end, its all just the same inconsequential stuff that happens to everyone. I think it would be easy to stop trying, afraid to do anything for fear of failure or criticism and admittedly, I haven't felt like doing much more than the necessary. Maybe things will be better tomorrow.







9 comments:

Sabrina said...

Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength.-Eric Hoffer- Try to shake it off and have a better day tomorrow. Peace,Sabrina

A Polymer Penchant said...

An man, sorry to hear of this run. I wish the negative voices didn't stand out so much of the time. I hope they get flooded and overshadowed by all the good. You do beautiful work with everything you touch. I love the style you bring to so many varieties of art that you share in this space. How you run your business is completely your business I'm not sure why people feel the need to be difficutlt. Hoping better things are just around the corner

Cynthia Thornton said...

Thanks guys. Things are already looking up. I just found an awesome tutorial on ball jointed dolls.

Anonymous said...

Ebb and flow...
I know this well.

I promise it will get better. It always does just like the sun rising and setting.

Reading and thinking of you.

xox
j a n e

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Live your life and run your business how you and Greg see fit, Cynthia. It's yours no one else's. Life is short, try not to spend it dwelling on the negative, look toward the positive and keep reaching for it. Peace.

Gaea said...

I am so sorry for your loss. All I can see is the beauty in your work. I hope this rough patch passes quickly. Sending sunshine your way! Your work always brings happiness to my day and I actually turn to your pages when I am feeling down and sad, so thank you for the lift up when I need it!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today. First, please let me say that your work is AMAZING! From someone who is trying to work up the courage to become a self-employed artist - you are an inspiration. I am so sorry there has been such negativity from others. You are beautiful and brave, and I sincerely hope you hear/feel the love from those of us who know how hard you work everyday to give us such beauty. Thank you!

Angi Mullis dj2isme@aol.com

CheraleeS said...

I wanted to tell you a story that contrasts your critics. I first discovered your work in a bead store in Minnesota. A small tray was kept in a locked case at the register and I was waiting in line to check out. Trays of blown glass beads covered the case and as the girl put them back in their assigned spots, more of the case's contents were revealed. The small display of your pieces caught my eye and I asked for them. I sifted through the little faces, marveling over the perfect phrase on the backs and smiling broadly at the tiny details. You couldn't have known when you made those pieces and sent them out into the universe that I would find them the day my husband was told he had cancer at 36. You couldn't have known that the ideas they inspired were what I told my husband about as he lay there, recovering from surgery. Or that when we moved away from Minnesota two years ago, I mourned losing that bead store as much as I did my girlfriends. I just wanted you to know that whatever you hoped or planned for when you began selling your art, you achieved an even greater thing that day for me. I will be a life long fan.

Unknown said...

To say that you are a gifted artist is like saying the sky is wide. I've never met you a day but I can tell you that you've left an impression so vivid that I am compelled to leave you this message. Sometimes we just love to much......that's what good people do. Someone once told me, "Other people don't MAKE us feel a certain way, we LET them". Ahhhh....so true. :)