Tuesday, August 02, 2011

paddy

My sister took this picture of Paddy and myself when we were in art school, maybe 15 years ago. Its a very telling picture, I think, with his sublime expression and those melting eyes. He walked in through my open apartment window one day while I was airing out my room (in a vain attempt to disperse the fumes from oil paints and turpentine) and sat down by my feet. He visited every day, a friendly stray who politely accepted rice and other tidbits (even though we knew he dined on Fancy Feast and other fine treats from homes all over the neighborhood). He eventually chose my sister and I as his favorites and stayed with us through countless moves across the country, a constant companion through all manner of emotional terrain. He kept me company when I kept to myself, which happened to be a fair amount of the time.
I couldn't find the pictures of him wearing his red bowtie, which complimented his 'tuxedo' perfectly, but I think he still looks like a lover in this one. Paddy was one of the most loving beings I've ever known, winning over every dog, cat and human in his path. That cat was even patient with Azalea and Max, allowing them to hug and 'pet' him! I loved that cat. He died from old age last week, so we made a bed for him under the azaleas and rhododendrons (his favorite place to watch the birds). I'll remember him always.

20 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Awww what a sweet cat!! I am so sorry for your loss Cynthia! Sounds like he had a good long healthy happy life with you guys! xo

KristiBowmanDesign said...

It's obvious he was something special, how lucky you both were to share each others lives. My thoughts are with you.

Patti Cahill said...

Very sorry, Cynthia. I know how it is to lose such a dear friend...

Unknown said...

Its so sad how their lives are so short..I feel for you. Im so sorry hes gone ox

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

So very sad to say goodbye to such a good friend. Sending love and hugs.

Alice said...

What a touching story. I'm so sorry you lost such a loving and faithful pet.

Patty said...

Ohhh, such a sweet, beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for your loss, Cynthia. Sounds like you have many wonderful memories of him to sustain you though.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is such a difficult part of life. They are priceless.

Andrew Thornton said...

So sad that he's gone now. He was a gentle lover and ever so romantic. He was a good cat. I'll miss him too!

Heather Wynn Millican said...

I am sorry for your loss Cynthia.
my thoughts are with you.

Tom said...

Sorry to hear that. :(

Mary K. McGraw said...

I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a very special cat.

Sharon Palac said...

What wonderful memories of love and comfort he gave you all those long years. He's still with you, smelling the flowers and watching those birds...:)

Cynthia Thornton said...

Thank you all for such lovely words! I get all teary eyed every time I read them.

Shai Williams said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets are very much a part of our family.

aerialpig said...

Have you read the short story about the 6-year-old boy processing the loss of his dog? Here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/a-dogs-purpose-from-a-6-year-old/page1.aspx

All pets (I like to call them "furry children") are different and they provide to us all those things like entertainment and love without words or judgements as only they can do. Thank you for sharing with everyone a glimpse into life with Paddy. I could tell he loved you as much as you loved him. :)

Deb from Holden ,MA said...

Awww. His face has the look of a loved kitty cat. You will meet again,one day.
Sweet andstory, how he picked you to be his mama.

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was such a wonderful companion…

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

God bless Paddy. love, jean

mjsee said...

*hugs*