Monday, January 17, 2011

almost done....


Ok, here are the latest pieces in the new batch of goods. This will be a toggle clasp, with a feather as the toggle bar. Its quite dainty, perfect for jewelry made with smaller beads. I wanted a clasp for some simple faceted gemstone necklaces and I think this will work great.

This pebble is the latest piece in the 'little blessings' series. I haven't decided what to carve on the back. I'm thinking of 'fond memories' or 'sweet memories', maybe something about strength. This is the hardest part, next to carving text, which is always hard on eyes and hands. I've been meaning to mention something that has greatly improved my work.....optivisors! Bob Burkett has been talking about these for years, but the set I picked up had a light and were too heavy, so I never used them. I picked up a pair of opti visors and now I can't work without them. They pretty much eliminate eyestrain, since they magnify so well and aren't so close to your eyes, like glasses. Opti visors fit on your head and the lenses lower down, without touching your face. If you work with small things, try them out.

I just recieved these stones from a store on etsy, called stonestudiostoo and I just love them! They are nice and light and have lovely colors. I have an idea to paint patterns on the surface, like lace or seaweed. They seem like amulets, earthy and magical.
I have a few days left to finish carving masters, then its all production till Greg leaves for Tucson. He and TJ have been working around the clock developing formulas for bronze. There are so many formulas out there that determine color, strength and porosity. The recipe they finally settled on is based on an ancient formula, without any of the toxic stuff found in a lot of modern alloys. Its also very beautiful, warm and golden. I can't wait to show the finished pieces!

16 comments:

Nicola said...

They are absolutely wonderful!!! Love your work :)

Unknown said...

Really lovely peacock! Just Beautiful Cynthia! Really looking forward to your new pcs! Stay warm Missy! ox

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

They are both beautiful! My dad solders circuit boards and he always wore one of those visors I never knew what they were called though.
Can't wait to see the new pieces.
Shannon C

Tom said...

love that toggle clasp design.

peacockfairy said...

Oh Cynthia - I totally LOVE the peacock! Can't wait til I can get my hands on some! And you will love those stones - I've worked with them in the past too.

TesoriTrovati said...

This is just precious, Cynthia! I love the peacock. And that elephant, reminds me of my Ellie stuffed elephant. I like the phrase "remember me" with the elephant. And I have used those stones too. Never considered altering them, but that is a wicked cool idea and I would love to see that when you are done! Enjoy the day.
Erin

Maneki said...

Oh, that peacock is just so beautiful! It makes me think of persian fairy tales.

Rebecca said...

Oh WOW!!! I absolutely adore the peacock especially and can't wait to see the finished clasp. Stunning!!!

flyingbeader said...

Cynthia those are beautiful. The elephant is just too too TOO!

dot

Andrew Thornton said...

The new pieces look good! I like the suggestion Erin made, "Remember me." Not only are elephants symbols of luck, prosperity, and long memories... but they also grieve and go through periods of mourning. They maintain graveyards for those in their family that they've lost.

Quick, make a swan charm with the quote "effortless grace" on the back. :-) You know you need another project.

Unknown said...

Oooooh, really nice pieces. Can't wait to see them in person!

Kiki said...

what metal will these pieces be available in? They are so lovely!

Alice said...

I love the dainty toggle clasp and the little blessings pebble. So sweet!

I've been eyeing the stones from this etsy shop for a while now. I can think of so many things to do with these.

Can't wait to see the finished pieces!

Gina Chalfant said...

I'm so glad you decided to do the persian peacock! It is one of my favorite motifs. I can't wait to purchase one!

Shai Williams said...

I just adore that peacock! You totally need to make it in a larger size also as that would be a gorgeous focal for a necklace

Gigi said...

The peacock is gorgeous! And, PLEASE take Shaiha's suggestion, if you're not already planning on this, and make the design into a focal piece as well.

I am still drooling over it's beauty and am looking forward to the day I'm holding my own in my hands.

Recently, I purchased another two of the small rose and leaf shibuichi clasps and, as I was admiring them, it occurred to me that I could actually make them into earrings! How beautiful would that be! But, first I have to buy more so I don't deplete my stash. LOL! (Hi, my name is Gigi and I am a Green Girl addict...)