Wednesday, November 12, 2008









Here we go! A few pieces for my book! Blood red heart with golden bird caught within, polymer crystals and resin.







Magic egg, polymer, crystals, gold wire and drops.










Chained heart, polymer, crystals, acrylic, glass and chain.
















These are for fun, more bird girls, one from the owl family, the other decended from rare pink doves.
Hi! I'm in Colorado now, at Interweave, working on photographing basic techniques for my book. There is a lot to cover, hopefully we can finish it all in two days! I spent today with my editor, the charming Darlene D'agostino and we sorted through the loads of pieces and step outs, organizing it all. It was fun. I was so nervous this past week, worried I'd forget something, or not have enough to show. I'd carried so much anxiety that my shoulders are knotted like a macrame planter! So, after a day of hard work, I decided to go to Barnes and Noble, thinking it would be nice to roam around undisturbed for awhile.
I was mistaken. I went to look for the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (I knew I'd finish the first one within a few hours and would want the next, and the next...) and found them and began flipping through them absently. I became really annoyed when I didn't see any mention of my favorite vampire in book three and began to wonder what the heck happened and why did I have to go around snooping so far ahead. Now, i will have to read non-stop for a week to find out what happened to him. I really like Bill, the tall, dark and handsome 1860's vampire. I will have issues with this Charlaine, if she kills him off. Or writes him into a jerk. No me gusta. I got so aggravated I went to Target next door to take my mind off it and bought a couple of t-shirts, aspercream, the next two Sookie books and Midol. I went back to my hotel and got into the hot tub and began reading like it was my life's work. I think I got cooked and had to drag myself out, weak and bright red. I now know it is not wise to take a riveting book into the hot tub. I can be a real wing nut.
Interestingly, I'm no longer nervous about my book. I feel like I'm ahead, with new ideas on how to make it even better. I can't wait to get home and start right up on more projects! One of the ideas is to write it like its an artists sketchbook, an artist that encounters magical beings and makes things inspired by her experiances. I'm really excited by the concept and have been sketching up a storm! I think I may include an encounter with a certain magical creature that only comes out at night...ok, enough about vampire's! I can't help it if I have a natural obsession with mythical beings, especially ones that horrify me. I'm one of those folks that can't stand the sight of blood. I get really lightheaded and dizzy at the thought. See, now isn't it obvious why I can't get enough of vampires? Used to love Anne Rice till she got weird. Same thing with mermaids, I am terrified of deep water, can't swim, can't stand being on a boat out in open water. Anyway, back to the book, its coming along swimmingly, with loads of techniques already, so you get your money's worth. Ok, I think my new favorite show is coming on, gotta go.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you're obsessed with Bill...I'm sure you know I share that particular infatuation, since we often have the same taste in things (hello, Unfaithful). B and I watch that show like mad, and I'm afraid to read the books because I don't want to spoil the end of the show.

I LOVE the idea of the artist sketchbook. As you described it, I could see it in my head. I'm so excited to see the finished product.

Jane Ann Wynn said...

!!! So excited for you!!!
Can't wait
CAN'T WAITTTT!!!

xxooxx
j a n e

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

This is going to be the coolest bool inthe whoe world!!! whoo hoo!!!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

make that book and whole!!! geesh it is hard to type when your key letters are worn off! oops!

Unknown said...

You are like a little Magic pot brimming over with ideas! Your Amazing xox

Andrew Thornton said...

Glad to hear that the shoot is going well! Sounds like all our preparations for the book weren't in vain.

Eek! No más, Señor Bill? No me gusto, indeed! Though things didn't seem to be going well for Sookie and Bill on the preview for the next episode. Ugh. I'm definitely going to have to make friends with HBO so I can watch it in real time.

It sounds like neither you or I have very much luck with the hot tubs. I almost drowned in the one in King of Prussia - and I wasn't even reading a book!

Carter said...

Oooh...it's looking so good! Can't wait to see more. These projects are looking rather magical, and I love it!
Best of luck during the rest of the week. Look forward to hearing more about it.
Best-
Carter

meesh said...

i l o v e the bird girls!

peace,

meesh