Monday, March 01, 2010

owl munny



This is the first thing I made in my newly organized studio....Owl Munny! Andrew picked up the blank vinyl doll last time we were in Brooklyn and asked me to paint it for him. I traded him for one of his bird collages. It was nice to just paint something for fun, after all the strenuous organizing! I unpacked boxes that haven't seen the light of day in ten years! Of course, the whole process felt like a sort of therapy for other issues. Sometimes when I'm stressed out I clean, it just seems to help burn off steam and also a way for me to feel productive when I'd otherwise be incapable of creating. To me, art that's made when your heart isn't in it always seems forced, or else its a constant reminder of a hollow passage of time. I've learned I'd rather not have those reminders. So, after tediously separating thousands of beads into colorways and between light and dark (shades of red blending to pale pink) it felt really good to break the paints out (neatly, of course). The doll is about four inches high, with twisting arms and head and painted with acrylic paints. Its sealed with matte medium. I ordered several more from Chuckwa and am looking forward to painting more!

5 comments:

AJ said...

I also clean when I'm stressed -- and especially when I'm mad. There's something so satisfying about eradicating dirt and throwing out junk when you're angry.

Andrew Thornton said...

I love it! I am happy it belongs in my collection. I know I said this while you were painting it, but it reminds me of "Little Brother". It's got a cute little stout body and a big cute head and big, big eyes!

kate mckinnon said...

I also clean when I am in a low point artistically, or when I'm angry, or worried. It helps me feel productive, and gives me a clean slate for when the muse returns.

JunqueJules said...

Why is it that cleaning can make you angry and anger can make you want to clean? Ironic.
Either way-there is nothing like cleaning the studio out and getting inspired by goodies in your stash you forgot you had.
Yesterday I found some huge frosted pink Lucite beads and a vintage glass pearl necklace I forgot I had. There were just calling to be used right away! It must be Spring!

Unknown said...

YES! You are painting designer toys! I love what you did with that Munny! I am looking forward to seeing more. I always thought it would make some fantastic customs. Do you have anymore photos of the owl? I would love to see what you painted on the back. If you ever need help with finding new platforms to paint on let me know.