Thursday, December 18, 2008

found by the sea

These are some little studies in watercolor and gouche of specimens one might find out on an excursion by the sea. They remind me of a time when we went to St. Pete a long time ago, we cut through a neighborhood of beach cottages and one had the most beautiful garden of potted plants. I seem to recall columbines and bleeding hearts...but not the fritallaria (tall bulb in the middle) those are grow in the valley's of Turkey and have to be brought here. I used to grow them, along with any other rare or unusual plant - my garden looked as if it were from some other world, tended by witches. Anyway, these little sketches are also for my book, to lay on top of backgrounds and look like they were made while overlooking the ocean. I think I'm enjoying the backgrounds and drawings more than I should. Its an escape, a luxury, a delightful excuse to do what I love. The jewelry is nice to make, but it comes with so much pressure to make something new, interesting and totally original. While the art is comfortable and easy to get lost in, like a cooking a recipe you've made hundreds of times and need no directions. Maybe because its my first love, one I've had since I was young, it still gives me the same pleasure it did then as it does now. I feel like I'm still getting to know this many sided craft that is jewelry, even though I've worked at it and studied it, taken years of classes, have been guided by pros and have made my living from...but it still remains mysterious to me. It feels as though there is always more to learn, new ways to make the same forms. Which is exciting, but daunting. I suppose I should be saying how easy and effortless it is to make, since I'm writing a book on it and I want loads to sell, not blabbing about how intimidating it can be to make samples! I guess its that i know these tips and tricks backward and forward, but its so hard to make pieces to showcase that formula, because it has to be amazing, its going to be in a book with my name on it, so I better make the best work I'm capable of. See, that is how to drive yourself crazy.

3 comments:

bArno said...

I think it's awesome that you are making a book. It's good to challenge yourself and try new things, that's how we grow as artists and people. That is ultimately why people will buy your book. I'm sure whatever the end result is, it will be magical, mystical, inspiring and definitely professional. Keep up the great work!

Andrew Thornton said...

You know just how many books we've looked at. Mountains and mountains. You know which authors decided to stay within their comfort zone and not really push themselves and you can see who did - who went that extra mile, who took that path, and who discovered that magical lost empire.

So, it may seem daunting, but I think it's real. It's good. And guess what... all of the hard work and facing mountains will come through in the book. People will see it as easily as you see it in other's work.

belvedere beads said...

merry christmas green girl.