Friday, December 21, 2007

Glass Eyes

Hello! What your seeing here are some tests of glass eyes on wire. The weird little ball with an eye is a test to see if the these little peepers would crack or shatter in the oven as they fired. It did not and I am pleased. This little project consisted of me ransacking the garage looking for my Hot Head torch. Hours later, I found it and remembered how slow it was, so I opted for the minor bench burner ( a much bigger torch). Now I haven't touched glass making since before Azalea was born so I was slow and clumsy at first and made more of a mess than anything. Gradually, I made what you see here, but it took awhile, even though they are tiny (smaller than peas). Now my hands are killing me- tiny things can be so hard on your hands. It was fun and I'm curious how my dolls will look with new eyes. I'm thinking about making some small bird girls to hang around or attach to branches. I think they will look super cute. Now I just have to mix some nice colors.

6 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

my gosh. you blossom in winter!
I need to talk to you guys by the way! something neat re: something!

Sophie said...

Love the concept of your bird girls...and I *loved* the house sprite below...I just finished reading "Spiderwick Chronicles" to my son...he's so into it now!!

Sophie said...

Love the concept of your bird girls...and I *loved* the house sprite below...I just finished reading "Spiderwick Chronicles" to my son...he's so into it now!!

Andrew Thornton said...

It's good that you finally got the torch set-up out again. I regret not spending more of my time down there getting back into working with glass. After I left the loft, I didn't do too much glasswork. Perhaps the next time I go down there, we can whip up a batch or two of eyes for various projects. We could even try making canes to really simulate an actual eye.

Cynthia Thornton said...

Yeah, that would be great. I tried making canes from polymer clay, they looked ok.

Unknown said...

Nice eyeballs Woman! Tommorows Christmas Eve wooopppeeee!!
Merry Christmas to You Cynthia Greg and Miss Rosebud!
Lots of huggs!
Janet xox